Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 3: A Tour of Valparaiso (6 May 2013)


Today was VERY eventful. We woke up bright and early and had to leave for the university at 8:30. Some of the Chilean students took us on the public bus, which we found out drives quite recklessly. When we arrived, we got a tour of the beautiful campus. There was lush greenery everywhere and there were some amazing views of the coastline. We concluded our tour in a classroom, where we got to learn about the Chilean economy as well as economic profiles of various other Latin American countries. Much of the information that our professor imparted on us was lost on me, as I often have difficulty comprehending even the simplest economic principles. Nevertheless, I took notes and tried my best to digest the fundamentals of Chilean business. 

I liked talking to the Chilean students and learning about the differences between life in Chile and the United States. I was surprised by how similar it actually is! Their classes seem comparable and their lives sound like a lot of fun. They kept apologizing for their English, but they were very fluent and it was not difficult to understand them at all. It seems 

After taking a break for lunch in the dining hall, we boarded a bus and began our tour of Valparaiso. The city is GORGEOUS. I could not stop myself from snapping picture after picture out the window of the bus, and I took about a million more when we got off the bus to walk around. My favorite part of the tour was the open sky museum which was a path through the (steep!) streets of Valparaiso that had paintings all over the buildings. It was very impressive.

Because we were so exhausted from walking around all day, we really needed some food to recharge. We decided that it was about time that we try some of Chile's famous empanadas! They were DELICIOUS. I also decided that I would try some of the offerings of a nearby bakery, so I had a panqueque which was equally tasty. 

After dinner, we headed back to the university for salsa lessons. Our teacher was quite funny, and very good at dancing. I picked up the basics of salsa relatively quickly, but once he began adding turns and different steps I got confused. However, I had a wonderful time trying to keep up! We get to take dance lessons again on Wednesday and a final time on Friday. I love that I got to visit a country with such a rich culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment