Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day 8: Relaxation (11 May 2013)


Today was the first of our free days. I was glad to be able to sleep in, but I did still have to get up around 10 because some of us were going on a highly anticipated bakery tour of ViƱa del Mar! Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately for our waistlines) we only actually made it to two bakeries. At the first, I tried a flaky pinwheel shaped pastry that was filled with something creamy that was delicious. At the second, we got to sit down and I shared a dulce de leche cake with Brendan. Between the two of us, we could barely finish half of it! It was very tasty but it was also extremely rich and it seemed as though we were biting into a solid block of caramel. We stayed in this cafe for a while and talked with the man and woman behind the counter. They said that they often host students who are studying abroad in the United States, and the woman was very helpful when we were ordering. We tried to go into another bakery, but we couldn't handle the sweet smell because we were all so full and we walked right back out of it. 

Later, most of us decided that we wanted to go out to lunch so we wandered along the main road looking for somewhere to eat. Once we finally settled on a place, I essentially ordered blindly because I could not really understand what many of the ingredients of the dishes were. Kelsey and I shared a surprisingly delicious plate of pork, chicken, and potatoes. Because it is customary for lunch to be the large meal of the day here in Chile, we did not finish until about 4:30. Personally, I like that everything seems a little more relaxed here and that we were able to sit down to a meal for about two hours. Sometimes the United States seems so rushed. 

When we got home, most of us crashed and I took a wonderful and much needed nap for several hours. I am very thankful for this weekend because without the extra sleep it has afforded me, I think I might have gone crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment