Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 4: Santiago (7 May 2013)


We had another packed day today. We woke up even earlier than yesterday and got on a bus that took us to Santiago for the day. Because we were first visiting the Santiago stock exchange, we all dressed up. We were all very tired and I believe everyone fell asleep on the bus. When we arrived, we learned a little bit about how the stock exchange works and how it is different from the one on Wall Street. Again, the specifics were a little much for me, but I understand that buying and selling stocks is very important for any business (even an engineering one) if it wants to do well. 

Then we were off to a busy section of the city near a large church. It reminded me a little of Times Square in New York City because the road and the square were not separated by a curb or any real barriers. We walked around the inside of the church and took pictures. Next we walked through a small museum detailing some of the history of Santiago. We then sat down to lunch at a seafood restaurant. There was a lot going on inside; it reminded me of Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia because of all the vendors selling fish and other produce around the main dining area. 

We got to see some of the behind-the-scenes of Chile's politics when we next visited the Presidential Palace. We got to see the room where the president holds important meetings, and the entire building was very beautiful. I was struck by how much more relaxed the atmosphere was compared with that of the White House. We were allowed in after undergoing a simple bag check and we were allowed to stand in the very rooms that the president uses. It was a nice change from all the uptight security that we see everywhere in the United States.

Finally we headed up a large incline to a religious outpost on the top of a mountain surrounding the city. This offered excellent views of the entire expanse of Santiago, and it was my favorite part of the day because it was so beautiful. At the top of the mountain I encountered something that we do not see in the United States, which was paying for bathroom usage. An attendant was stationed outside of the ladies' room and we were not allowed to use it unless we paid 200 pesos. I was taken aback by this, but it was very cheap so I of course paid the fee and went inside. 

This marked the end of our time in Santiago for today, and we drove back to the hotel in ViƱa del Mar. For dinner tonight, most of us found a small restaurant that served quesadillas and also had some excellent guacamole. It was delicious! I am glad that I am enjoying the food here, because before I arrived here I was worried that it might be too spicy. But so far I have not disliked anything that I have tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment