Sunday, May 5, 2013

Day 1: A Day of Travel (4 May 2013)

Today was a very long day. After spending the night in Tower C with the rest of the Plus3 programs, we woke up bright and early to catch the 9:30 am bus to the airport. After checking our bags and getting through the security line, we grabbed some lunch and waited for our 1:30 flight by playing cards. When it was finally time to board, I was pleasantly surprise that I had an entire row to myself! I spent the almost three hour ride listening to music and napping.

Once we arrived in Dallas/Fort Worth, we began a six-hour wait until our 9:25 flight to Santiago, Chile. The Dallas airport was very large (much bigger than Pittsburgh's), so we went exploring and got a bite to eat again. The airport also had a much-needed charging station, so we spent a lot of our time clustered around our electronics in a gate adjacent to ours. We passed the time by talking and speculating about what things might be like in Chile. Like several of the other students, I have never been out of the United States before and taking my first trip abroad is very exciting. I cannot wait to spend two weeks in Chile.

When it was finally time to board our airplane, we were all very tired. I shuffled to my assigned seat, only to find someone else already sitting in it! After a brief conversation, I decided to switch seats with the gentleman so that he could sit with his girlfriend in the row ahead of me. This meant that I was in the very center of the airplane, with my fellow students Hal and Alana on either side of me.

After takeoff I settled in for the ten-hour flight. The dinner they served was better than I expected, and the in-flight movie was about FDR. I fell asleep rather easily a little bit after midnight, excited about the day ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment