Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 9: Relaxation Part 2 (12 May 2013)


On our second free day, I again caught up on some much needed sleep. I spent the first half of the day lounging around and catching up on my blog as well as working on my group PowerPoint presentation about the company Conservas Centauro since we need to present it on Monday. 

Then I went to the mall with one of the Chilean students and several of my peers for some frozen yogurt. It was very good, though some of the topping choices were foreign to me. 

Once we returned to the hotel, it was time for our one fancy dinner of the trip. Brice and Jorge took us out to a restaurant right on the beach, and the view was phenomenal. But the scenery was nothing compared to the food; I daresay those were the best mashed potatoes I have ever had. I also willed myself to try some foods I have never eaten before, like crab (don't judge me) and octopus (it actually tasted like tuna). 

It was interesting to observe how differently Chileans act when they are out to dinner. When we are with our friends in the United States, we seem to get very loud and boisterous because we are having such a good time. In contrast, Chileans seem to remain quieter and more respectful of other patrons in the restaurant. Tonight our table got progressively louder (especially with the wine flowing relatively freely) while the other guests downstairs were more controlled. I have noticed this a few times when we are out eating as a large group, and I wonder how the Chileans around us must feel about such an unruly group of foreigners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment