Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 10: The Final Lecture and Soccer (13 May 2013)

Today was our last lecture at the university. We spent most of the class doing our company presentations for Jaime, who provided us with additional feedback and possible questions that we might ask our tour guides tomorrow. Luckily we did not have to eat lunch at the cafeteria. We quickly stopped back at the hotel to change into athletic apparel for our soccer game with some of the Chilean students.

We then stopped by the mall to grab lunch at the food court. I thought it was interesting how they have a lot of the same types of fast food as we do in the United States: I saw a McDonald's, a Burger King, a KFC, and a Subway. Additionally, most of the other places offered burgers, fries, sandwiches, and pizza, just like a mall food court might back home.

After a nutritious meal of a burgers and fries, we headed up to a nearby turf field. Since it was so small, we had to split up into four teams of seven people in order to play. I was very excited to play soccer with the students because soccer is my favorite sport and I wanted to see how my skills compared to those of the students who have grown up in a soccer-dominated culture. My team was absolutely stacked and we won most of the games that we played. I had a great time and though the Chileans were very talented, I think I held my own (except when I played goalie...). It makes me so happy that soccer is such a beloved sport here, and it makes me wish that people back home were equally as passionate about it. I would much rather go to a soccer match than an American football game, but that is just a cultural difference between the United States and the rest of the world I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment