Sunday, May 19, 2013

Day 14: Leaving Too Soon (17 May 2013)

Today was our final day in Chile. I cannot believe that it has already been two weeks since we embarked on this incredible journey. Just 14 days ago I barely had any idea who the 18 other students on this trip were, and in a very short time we have grown very close. It also seems unreal that we have to leave our Chilean friends behind, possibly forever. I hope that they can travel to Pittsburgh sometime and we can have a Plus3 reunion!

Anyway, this morning we decided to go souvenir shopping at the vendors along the beach. Brendan, Kelsey, Josh, Alana, and several more of us walked down there at about 10 only to find that most do not set up shop until around 1 pm. We had forgotten that we were on Chilean time and that 10 am must seem ungodly early to them whereas in the United States most things would be open by then. Undeterred, we raided the few shops that were open and most of us walked away satisfied.

Then we walked to the empanada shop that we visited on the second day and I ordered what must have been my fifth empanada there. They are so good! Afterwards we visited the bakery next door as I always seem to. It was a wonderful last Chilean meal, though Alana and the waitress were still experiencing a little language barrier.

We walked back to the hotel and quickly shoved all of our stuff into our suitcases. Luckily, everything fit and I did not even exceed the 50 pound limit. After some heartfelt goodbyes to our Chilean friends, we boarded the bus and rode to the Santiago airport. We arrived around 4, though by the time we were through checking our bags and security it was probably about 5:30. Our flight didn't board until 8, so we had a final meal and did some more souvenir shopping in the (expensive) gift shop there. Right before we boarded, we took a group picture in our matching sweatshirts.

As I boarded the plane, I took a good last look at Chile. These have been two of the best weeks of my life and I would really love to come back and visit sometime, but I think in my heart I know that I will never return. However, this experience has given me some amazing memories and some amazing friends, and has definitely sparked my interest in studying abroad other places (or at least simply travelling). I cannot wait to see what the future has in store for my passport and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment